What is included in the FRHSD Academy/Learning Center Application?
- Basic student contact information including a parent/guardian email address.
- Student’s choice up to 2 magnet programs.
- One student essay for each program.
- A list of student’s activities and interests.
- Student’s academic records including 7th and 8th grade report cards.
- Recommendations from appropriate teachers or professionals.
- Interview for the NJROTC Program.
How Do You Decide Who Gets Admitted?
- Recommendations (25%)
- Essay & Statement of Activities (30%)
- Academic Grades (30%)
- Interview (15%)
Who should I ask for recommendations?
- You should ask two teachers who know you well and can provide feedback on your interest, academic work, and likelihood of success in the program(s) to which you are applying. Our program requires an additional paper recommendation (available as a PDF file to print from the Online Application System) from another teacher in your school or professional outside of your school who has trained you or has knowledge of your talent.
When will you review my application?
- We will monitor the applications coming into our system during the application period, but we will not begin the review process until after all parts of the application are complete, including parts that are coming from your school and recommenders. You will be able to check “status notes” on your application so that you can be assured that all of the parts that are out of your hands have been completed. Note that applications that are incomplete (that is, missing required items) will not be reviewed.
When will I find out if I have been accepted?
- Students are typically notified in mid-February.
What is the waiting list and how does it work?
- Because we have limited positions in each program, we begin by offering acceptance to the top students who qualify for admission. However, not all of those students choose to enroll. Therefore, we offer other students who meet all of the standards for acceptance a place on the waiting list. As students make their choices to attend or not, we invite students from the waiting list to attend. Because this is a fluid process, we will not tell you what your likelihood of being accepted is. We will encourage you to make decisions based on your interests.